Happy Australia Day! We do live in fabulously free Country where we can be ourselves and do what we want and live the life we dream. Today lots of people are celebrating in various ways, friends are having beach days, bbqs and fireworks. And of course the cricket. The boys are a little obsessed with all things sport at the moment so we are endeavouring to take them to the international 20/20 tonight. We’ll see how that goes!
I wanted to do some ‘Australian’ cooking today.. I looked up lamination recipes and pavlova (which I must say I love a good pav) but decided on my Mums Vanilla Slice. Biscuits, custard and icing- how can you go wrong?!!
Vanilla Slice (Thermomix style)
2 packs of Arnotts Lattice Biscuits
50g of cornflour
1/4 cup sugar
1tsp vanilla extract
1 quantity of icing- I choose pink!
coconut for sprinkling on top.
-to make the custard I use the Thermomix but of course I can be done on the stove top.
- place corn flour and sugar in bowl and mill sp9 for 10 secs.
- Add eggs, milk, vanilla and set at Sp 3 90 degrees for 7 mins. ( using the stove top- continually stir until thickened) it needs to be quite thick.
- line a slice tray with baking paper, and place a layer of Lattice biscuits on the bottom.
- Spread the custard out on top of the Lattice Biscuits.
- place another layer on top of biscuits on top of the custard, and place in the fridge for at Least an hour.
- Spread a layer of icing on top of the biscuits and sprinkle with coconut.
My hot tip is to cut the biscuits in half when serving (use a serrated bread knife) so the custard doesn’t ooze to much when you bite into the creamy deliciousness!!
You must be logged in to post a comment.